Diamond - a symbol of clarity and strength
By: Dee & Noam ~
April babies are lucky enough to have the most celebrated gemstone on earth for a birthstone. Diamonds are considered as the hardest natural material on earth. Diamonds are the only gems made of a single element (carbon), formed billions years ago in the earth’s mantle, through tremendous pressure and temperature of 2000-3000 degrees Fahrenheit. They were brought closer to the earth’s surface through volcanic activity. Diamonds range from colorless to yellow, brown, gray, orange, green, blue, black, purple, pink and red.
Here are some fun facts about diamonds:
- The name diamond is derived from the Greek word adamas, meaning unconquerable.
- Only diamond can cut diamond. Therefore, diamonds are polished on a wheels coated with diamond dust.
- Less than 20% of the diamonds mined worldwide are true gem-quality.
- Only one polished diamond out of a thousand weighs more than a carat.
- The word carat comes from the Mediterranean tree whose seed was used for centuries as standard for weighing precious stones. 1 carat=.2 grams, or .007 ounces.
- The largest Rough diamond, discovered in 1905, is the Cullinan diamond, weighing in at 3,106 carats (2.8ibs).
Diamond Jewelry to Fit Any April Baby